Hello! I’m Elaine
MY LIFE EXPERIENCE THAT HAS ENHANCED MY ROLE AS A COUNSELLOR
I have worked within the Private, Public and Voluntary Sectors during my working career supporting many Individuals in a range of different working spaces and environments.
I have always been interested in people and started an Introduction to Counselling Course way back whilst living in Cambridge in 2002. Then my circumstances changed giving me the opportunity to work and volunteer in Basel, Switzerland for 6 years and Texas, USA for 2 years. I am a passionate believer in Life Long Learning and studied as a mature student with the Open University.
Returning to the UK, I followed my passion and after further study became a fully trained Counsellor. I worked for Relate as a trained Relationship Counsellor from 2015 through to lockdown March 2020. I now have accrued 4,500+ hours working with adult couples and individuals of all ages. I have been running my Private Practice since November 2019.
I am also a Couple Counsellor working for Relationship Counselling Kent supporting couples and individuals not only in Kent but across the country. I also counsel for JHD Counselling supporting Cambridge University Students online via Zoom.
My approach is always to be friendly, accommodating, kind and aware of the fact that you are possibly coming to a Counselling Session for the first time. I will endeavour to ensure that you feel comfortable and to provide a safe, non-judgemental and supportive space for you. A space where you will be able to talk, and feel comfortable sharing your feelings to explore your situation and story.
Training & Continual Professional Development
- An Introduction to PTSD and Trauma CPD
- Attachment & Couples Workshop
- Awareness & Safety
- Child Protection & Safeguarding
- COSRT Skills for Providing Therapy Online
- Couples & Sex Addiction
- Domestic Violence & Abuse
- Domestic Violence, Assessment & Intervention
- Gender & Sexual Diversity
- Impact of Addiction on Families
- Internet Online Safety
- Irvin Yalom and the art of psychotherapy - online
- LGBTQ+ Awareness/Knowledge
- Mental Health Awareness
- Military Mindset Training
- Narrative Therapy
- Relationships & Mental Health
- Safeguarding, De-escalation & Boundaries
- Sexual Violence & Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sudden & Unexpected Loss
- Supporting Clients with ADHD & Autism/ASD
- The Dissociated Self & Autism
- The Fragile Self: Working With Narcissistic Vulnerability, Grandiosity, Shame & Alienation
- Trauma Defined: Bessel Van Der Kolk on The Body Keeps the Score
- Treating Envy & Jealousy CPD
- Understanding & Recognising Sex Addiction
- Work with Self-Harm and Self-Sabotage CPD
- Working in the Short-term Workshop
- Working With Anger & Rage
- Working With CYP Using Creative Mediums CPD
- Working With Emotional Abuse & Narcissism
- Working With Grief & Loss Workshop
- Working With Grief Following Sudden & Traumatic Death
- Working With Parents & Family Issues, LGBTQ+ Pink Therapy
- Working With Young People in the LGBTQ+ Community - BACP
My Approach & Values
- Psychodynamic and systemic theoretical perspectives and human sexuality relating to relationships
- Ethical frameworks and practice
- Therapeutic and specialist skills in working with relationship issues and context
- Reflexivity and the use of self
- Bacp Certificate of Proficiency
- Relate cpcab Level 5 Diploma in Relationship Counselling
- Relate cpcab Level 4 Introduction to Relationship Counselling
- Professional Therapeutic Counselling Left 4 ncfe Distinction
- BSc (Hons) Social Sciences with Geography & Politics
- I am a Registered Member of Bacp and follow their Code of Ethics.
- I receive regular clinical supervision.
- I am very aware of the importance of Gender Diversity and Inclusion.
- I can offer short-term work agree for a certain number of sessions, or on an open-ended basis.
I Work With Individuals & Couples
Confidentiality & Safety
The counselling I offer is a private and confidential form of help. I hold information about each of my clients and the counselling they receive in confidence. This means that I will not normally give your name or any information about you to anyone outside the organisation. However, there are exceptional cases where I might ethically or legally have to give information to relevant authorities, for example, if I had reason to believe that someone, especially a child, is at serious risk of harm.
If you come with a partner/wife/husband, I may suggest seeing each of you individually. It is important for you to know that what is said in those individual sessions will be confidential and not shared with your partner/wife/husband.
Controlling and coercive behaviour is an issue for many people who come to Counselling for help with their relationship. From my experience working with couples or family members may not be safe. If this is so, I would suggest that each person to get individual specialist support from another supportive and reputable agency.